Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Itchy Grass

Austin had his first day of football practice yesterday.  Seems to have gone well.  He got his locker, his equipment, met a few friends and even managed to beat the heat.  When I picked him up his white cheeks were beet red.  Sweat rolled down his face as he chugged his ice water.  Poor guy looked exhausted! Keep in mind this 12 year old has never played football in 100 degree weather.  I think his system was a teeny bit shocked to say the least!
Me:  "Hi sweetheart! How did practice go?"
AJ:  "It went good.  A couple of my friends couldn't hang.  They threw up."
Me:  "I can imagine.  It's so hot outside. Did you feel ok?"
AJ:  "Ya, I did fine.  We weren't allowed to have water out at practice, though."
Me:  "Really? Wow."
AJ:  "They should really let us have some kind of refreshing Gatorade drink the way the pros do."
Me:  "Mmmk, well, it's your first day of practice and it's 7th grade.  I hardly think they're gonna let y'all drink Gatorade.  But I would think that maybe they would let you sip on water, at least."
AJ:  "Ya, me too. The coach wouldn't let us walk anywhere."
Me:  "Huh?"
AJ:  "The coach wouldn't let us walk anywhere.  If he saw us walking,  he would make us do push ups.  We had to run everywhere.  I made sure I ran!"
Me:  "Wow, it's like boot camp. *insert chuckle* Are you sure you want to do this?"
AJ:  "Oh definitely!! I can do this!"
Me:  "OK, because if you feel like it's too much, you can back out."
AJ:  "No Mom.  I want to do this for sure."
Me:  "OK."
A moment passes.

AJ:  *sighs* "Ya, we had to sit on the grass.  It was soooo itchy!"
Me:  "What do you mean?"
AJ:  "The grass was really itchy!"
Me: *laughing* "Well, Princess, what did you expect grass to feel like?"
AJ:  "I thought it was gonna be soft."
Me:  "Soft?"
AJ:  "Ya, like soft grass that doesn't itch!"
I was still laughing and trying to figure out how my son didn't know how grass felt.  He's played in it, he's rolled around in it so how is it that he didn't know the feel of it??? 
I hope there's a way that they can roll out soft, luxurious grass for his practices and games!
I love this kid and the conversations we have are just so much fun.  He makes me laugh every day! I can't wait to hear what today's practice is like.

Plus to having Austin in football:  He's in bed, ASLEEP, by 8pm! Ahhhhh,,,,*sigh*

Prayer for my athletic son:
Isaiah 40: 29-31
"He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak.  Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fail; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.  They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."

~Me

No comments:

Post a Comment