Thursday, December 29, 2011

Ahhhh,,,,Christmas Cookies!

Let me start by saying I had a perfect picture in my head how I would bake and decorate cookies with my niece and nephew for Christmas.  I would make the cookie dough from scratch (which I did), roll out the dough and cookie cut each cookie perfectly, bake them, frost them, and help decorate each one to a 'T'! My detailed designs would come true on each baked cookie, sprinkles that sparkle and shine would soon be on the perfectly designed cookies, they would have lettering that's fancier than any calligraphy writing pen out there, and I'd take pictures of the kids decorating these perfect cookies that would melt anyone's heart.  That was MY thought!  It didn't quite happen that way.  I had flour everywhere, cookies were burning, the kids were impatiently waiting to decorate them, eating sprinkles, spilling them, sticking their fingers in green frosting, getting that on everything BUT the cookies and so on!!!  It was a little crazy to say the least!


I had Joe 'manning' the table, but he turned out to be just as bad as the kids.  Krista was on frosting duty.  But the non baker side of her didn't know that cookies should completely cool prior to putting the frosting on them, therefore, green frosting was melting off the sides of the cookies!  I think she was just in a hurry to get this whole process over with!  So was I!  Joe left the scene.  He decided pictures was the better route to take and left Nolan and Raeya to fend for themselves! 



Joe and Joseph!
 Raeya and Nolan fought over who got what sprinkles and what color, who got the green frosted trees or the white frosted stars, etc.!  It was a mess.  News paper covered the table in hopes that this would be an easy clean up.  Nope!  There were sprinkles on the floor, green frosting on the baby, the kids were licking frosting off of their fingers (in which they used to decorate the cookies with- ewww yuck! "None for me, I'll pass")!


I love the pound of icing and sprinkles Rae put on her cookies and if you look really close...you can see the bottom of the burnt cookies! lol!  Doesn't look like a total disaster but it was!



JoJo getting reeeeaaaallllyyy close to that ivory colored seat cushion!  Gracie would not be happy!
There was frosting on their clothes, the chairs, shoes, hair, and I'm sure ever little crevace in between, all the while we're trying to sound like we're having a great time in the kitchen so Gracie doesn't walk in and go into cardiac arrest!  Because she would have! Instead, we kept her happy while she enjoyed her TV shows from the recliner!


Me yelling from the kitchen: "Yes, Gracie, everything's under control! Stay happy over there!"
 The children's Christmas music in the background somehow annoyed the hell out of me at this point and we still needed to make our reindeer food! I can't tell you how fast I made that reindeer food and sent those two knuckleheads out the door!  I quickly cleaned up and made my getaway!  Phew!  That was exhausting! Here's a picture of one happy, sugar filled child and the home made Christmas cookies:

 Everything turned out cute even though the kids were awake for three days straight and clothes were ruined by the green frosting.  I will definately reconsider this 'cookie process' next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment